AIKA and Its Core Functions
According to amendments to the Law on Institutions of Higher Education (Latvijas Vestnesis 257 (5317)) and the Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers of 14 July 2015 No. 407, 408 and 409 as they have entered into force, the AIC organizes the accreditation of HEIs and study directions and licensing of study programmes. Meanwhile, in order to ensure the completion of the specified functions, the AIC established a department whose competence is to organize the accreditation of HEIs and study directions, licensing of study programmes, as well as the implementation of other tasks related to higher education quality assurance. In order to draw attention to the quality function of the AIC, the name of the established department is” Quality Agency for Higher Education”.
In accordance with the regulatory framework, the main functions of the Agency are as follows:
- Ensure the accreditation of institutions of higher education and study directions, as well as licensing of study programmes.
- Ensure the quality monitoring/improvement of study directions.
- Perform the analysis at the system level, carry out research, participate in the projects related to external quality assurance matters.
- Inform society about assessment results.
- Provide the necessary information and support for HEIs/colleges and other stakeholders.
- Develop procedures and guidelines for ensuring the functions of the Agency.
- Participate in international networks for external quality assurance.